“A vocation is: The place where your deep gladness and the hunger of the world meet.” ~ Frederick Buechner
Upcoming Teacher Training Information Sessions
Are you ready to take the next step in your yoga practice? Whether you feel called to teach or just want to deepen your practice through in-depth study, reflection, discussion and practice, come learn about SYA's 2018 Immersion and Teacher Training Program from our lead instructors and recent graduates.
Join us! All sessions are free, but please RSVP to email@example.com.
- Immersion & 200-hour
- Saturday, November 18, 12:30-1:30 PM
- Immersion, 200-hour, & 300-hour
- Saturday, December 16, 12:30-2:00pm
Join our 300-hour Modular Teacher Training anytime!
- Earn your 300 hours through stand-alone modules that you take as you like.
- Work toward 500-hour RYT certification through Yoga Alliance or take modules independently for your own education and nourishment.
- Begin the program when it works for you.
- Learn on your own timeline: study what you want to study, when you want to study it.
- Study with experts in their fields.
- Take up to four years to earn your 300 hours.
- Some classes are open to everyone; other classes open only to teachers, teachers in training, and teacher wannabes.
- Receive discounted classes at SYA during the first year of your training. You'll pay only $10 per class.
- Let us know what you’d like to learn; we’ll create a module around it!
Why Study With Us?
Seattle Yoga Arts is renowned as a studio of depth and excellence in teaching and our core faculty are among the most respected teachers in the Northwest. Since we began our Teacher Training program in 1998, we have trained some of the most beloved teachers in Seattle and beyond. We have had the time and experience to refine our program and we continually refresh our training with current and vital concepts that enhance your potency as a yogi and as a teacher.
Our core faculty members were trained in Anusara yoga and understand that method deeply. We also honor and source the best from the fields of physical therapy, kinesiology, therapeutics, etc. We have a commitment to including the stream of Tantric teaching in our philosophy, while also continually revisiting the root texts of the yoga tradition.
We believe that being a yoga teacher is an honor, a privilege and a never-ending path of growth and service. We have seen over and over that yoga changes lives and know that being part of that evolution is sacred.
Sanskrit: Using Sacred Sound to Add Richness & Dimension to Your Teaching
with Claudette Evans
This training module is designed for yoga teachers, recent YTT graduates and serious students who want to develop confidence in Sanskrit reading and chanting. We’ll focus on four specific areas of interest to yoga teachers: Sanskrit basics, including learning to recognize Sanskrit devanāgarī, as well as transliterated text; the aphorisms of the Yoga Sūtras; the verses of the Bhagavad Gītā; and the devotional mantras of the Upaniṣads.
The weekend will consist primarily of call-and-response chanting in order to develop a feel for the rhythms and cadences of Sanskrit chanting.
- Enhance their proficiency and poise in Sanskrit chanting
- Gain valuable insights into how Sanskrit presents the teachings of yoga
- Learn how to reference Sanskrit directly as a means to illuminate the teachings for your students.
- Explore the practice of Nāda Yoga, the yoga of sound and vibration
- Begin to cultivate a sonic practice to harmonize body, mind and heart
If you want to make Sanskrit chanting a regular feature of your classes and workshops, as well as a regular part of your own spiritual practice, this workshop is for you. No prior experience necessary. All are welcome.
Friday, November 10, 1:30-5:30 pm
Saturday, November 11, 1:30-6:30p
Sunday, November 12, 11:00-4:00 pm
$295 Early bird pricing through Nov 5
$325 Full price Nov 6 & after
Please plan carefully: Refunds of 90% are granted up to 5 days prior to the workshop start; after which, no refunds are given.
300-hour Teacher Training Overview
Two Ways to Join:
1. Working toward certification through Yoga Alliance?
Fill out & send us the application form, along with a $100 deposit. ($50 of this application fee goes towards your first 300-hour TT module.)
For more information, download a detailed breakdown of requirements for certification through Yoga Alliance. Upon registering you will receive tools with which to track your hours.
2. Just taking classes for your own education?
No need to send in an application. Go to the Events page and register there for the modules of your choice.
2017 Module Overview
Sanskrit: Using Sacred Sound to add Richness and Dimension to your Teaching – Claudette Evans
Light the Lamp of Knowledge: The History and Philosophy of Yoga – Amy Reed
2018 Module Overview
Complex Relationships: Ethical Nuances in the Seat of the Yoga Teacher - Bianca Raffety
Applied Psychology for Yoga: Emotional Literacy for Yoga Teachers - Amy Reed & Livia Shapiro
Trauma Informed Yoga: Teaching to Create Space for Healing and Growth - Bianca Raffety
How to Design and Teach an Intro to Yoga Series - Beth Award
Teaching Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga Students - Jaime Waliczek
Designing a Therapeutic Class - Ellen Boyle
Yoga for Parkinson's with Applications for Other Movement Disorders - Peter Lynch
How to Speak Somatically: The Neurobiologically-Informed Classroom - Denise Benitez
Restorative Yoga: Advanced Techniques for Teaching the Art of Stillness - Nicole Bratt & Claudette Evans
Breath Intelligence for Strength & Ease - Susan Grote
Creative Sequencing Strategies & Practicum- Greta Hill