"If you seek to come into your own presence, you will find the exact right rhythm for your life." ~ John O'Donohue
We are now accepting applications for our 2018 200-hour Teacher Training program!
Upcoming Teacher Training Information Sessions
Are you ready to take the next step in your yoga practice? Whether you feel called to teach or just want to deepen your practice through in-depth study, reflection, discussion and practice, come learn about SYA's 2018 Immersion and Teacher Training Program from our lead instructors and recent graduates.
Join us! All sessions are free, but please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Immersion & 200-hour
- Saturday, November 18, 12 :30-1:30 PM
- Immersion, 200-hour, & 300-hour
- Saturday, December 16, 12:30-2:00pm
What Our Graduates Say ...
"I appreciated that the program was geared toward explorations of ourselves, our voices, our purpose, etc. The program was not prescriptive and made it clear that everyone has something to give to the yoga world. Each of the instructors was so kind and knowledgeable." - MH (2016 graduate)
"Extraordinarily bright, empathetic, knowledgeable and approachable instructors. Very clear and vivid presentation of a truly vast amount of information. Creative approach to teaching with ample time for questions, reflection, and absorption. Lots of opportunity to put theory into practice." - MR (2016 graduate)
"This program has allowed me to show up in other areas of my life as a more authentic, accepting, imperfect, patient, loving version of myself. Each of the teachers brings such richness and depth of knowledge to the program." - TP (2016 graduate)
"The emphasis on meditation was really key for me. I also appreciated the wisdom, thoughtfulness, variety, and priorities of the program and how it was crafted. All of the teachers and guests were extremely qualified in terms of skills and knowledge." - KF (2016 graduate)
What I loved about the SYA 200 Hour Teacher Training - KB (2014 graduate)
Taking the Seat of the Teacher
The impulse to take the seat of the teacher arises most auspiciously from the passion and blessings of your own practice, which create a heartfelt desire to offer the gifts of yoga to others. You become an excellent teacher when you bring head and heart, intelligence and passion together into your own individual form of teaching. This teacher training will first support you in establishing daily life practices that sustain and nourish a yogic lifestyle. We will then guide you in accessing your own creativity and brilliance and offer you tools to become the best yoga teacher you can be. We will also take you on a grand tour of the yoga tradition, its philosophy, insights, and texts. We will offer you the very best of our many combined years of teaching and teacher training, so that you will leave this program prepared and inspired to teach effective, contextualized yoga to a diverse body of students.
Adjunct Faculty: Michael Jacobus on Anatomy, Susan Grote on Biomechanics, Meg Agnew on Meditation and Mindfulness, Claudette Evans on Sanskrit, Amy Reed on Philosophy
This year-long training will earn you certification through Yoga Alliance at the 200-hour level.
200-hour Teacher Training Curriculum
Establish the Daily Habits of a Yogi
- Creating a steady home asana practice
- Learning pranayama
- Establishing a daily meditation practice: sourcing the great well
- Refining your poses: personal guidance on your practice
- Contemplation: sourcing great teachings and your own insight for life wisdom
Foundations of the Yogic Path
- Two great texts of yoga: The Bhagavad Gita and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- The root text of Saiva Tantra: The Siva Sutras
- History of yoga, where the poses come from, the evolution of yoga in the West
Dwelling in the Body Vessel
- Fundamental anatomy with Michael Jacobus
- Softening as student and teacher
- Embodying and teaching the elements of earth, water, fire, air, spirit
- Contacting your own creative fire
- What to practice when? Teaching for different times, seasons, life transitions
Subtle Body Knowledge
- Introduction to the chakras as a model of energy flow
- Layers of being: the koshas
- Rivers of life: nadis and kundalini
- A model of creation: the tattvas
Taking the Seat of Teaching
- Learning a refined, logical system of body alignment for asana and teaching
- How to teach all categories of poses safely and effectively; standing poses, backbends, forward bends, twists, inversions, restoratives
- The art of verbal and manual adjustments
- Peer teaching with feedback
- Building a wave: the craft of sequencing
- Observation and seeing beauty in the student
- Teaching with a theme: how to teach a meaningful, contextualized yoga class
- Finding your inspiration
- Clarifying your unique contribution
- Study and practice groups
- Keeping a sadhana (practice) and insight download journal
How to Apply
We are now accepting applications for our 2018 200-hour Teacher Training!
Your application, and $200 non-refundable deposit, can be dropped off or mailed to Seattle Yoga Arts, 1540 15th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122, or emailed to email@example.com. You may also call the studio at (206)440-3191 to pay the application fee over the phone.
We will respond within 10 days of receiving your application to let you know whether you have been accepted into the training. Please do not send any further payments until you hear from us.
NOTE: Upon acceptance, your application fee will be rolled into your full training tuition. This means your first weekend fee will only be $90.
$290 per weekend or $3,480 for the entire training. All students enrolled in the 200 hour program will receive free unlimited yoga at SYA during their training year. We encourage you to come to class as often as your schedule permits! You can expect to spend about $100 on books and will be required to take 3 classes at other studios. There are no further fees or workshop/retreat costs.
Scholarships: We have two income relevant scholarships available, which reduce the fee by 40% and require financial disclosure for application. Please apply by November 30 for scholarship consideration. You can download the scholarship application here; send it with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pay in full: We will happily take payment in full via check or credit card.
Monthly, auto-pay: If you choose to pay monthly, we prefer that you authorize automatic payments to your credit card. We will provide you with a credit card authorization form giving us permission to do so when you are accepted into the training. Your credit card will then be automatically charged $290 on the Friday of each weekend of the training.
Monthly, by check: You may pay the $290 via check on the Friday of each weekend of the training. As a way of honoring the exchange of energy that is represented by money for teaching, we expect students to take responsibility for this without having to be reminded.
Please do not proceed with full payment until we have responded to your application.
Why Study with Us?
Seattle Yoga Arts is renowned as a studio of depth and excellence in teaching and our core faculty are among the most respected teachers in the Northwest. Since we began our Teacher Training program in 1998, we have trained some of the most beloved teachers in Seattle and beyond. We have had the time and experience to refine our program and we continually refresh our training with current and vital concepts that enhance your potency as a yogi and as a teacher.
Our core faculty members were trained in Anusara yoga and understand that method deeply. We also honor and source the best from the fields of physical therapy, kinesiology, therapeutics, etc. We have a commitment to including the stream of Tantric teaching in our philosophy, while also continually revisiting the root texts of the yoga tradition.
We believe that being a yoga teacher is an honor, a privilege and a never-ending path of growth and service. We have seen over and over that yoga changes lives and know that being part of that evolution is sacred.
- At least one year taking weekly (or so) public yoga classes.
- At least five classes at Seattle Yoga Arts.
- A burning desire to learn more about yoga.
- Support network of family and friends for your year of training.
- Clarity about your schedule, capacities, and other commitments so that you are sure you can make space for this training in your life.
Dates & Times
The program consists of twelve weekends of 15 hours each beginning in January 2018 and ending in December 2018. There are study group gatherings and homework outside of class time. Students are required to attend 6 classes and monitor 6 classes at SYA, and attend 3 classes at other studios throughout the course of the year. Plan on about two to six hours of outside class work a month.
2018 Weekend Dates:
November 30 – December 2
(Each day includes breaks for walks and food!)
Fridays – 1:30 to 7:30 pm
Saturdays – 12:45 to 6:45 pm
Sundays – 1:00 to 4:00 pm